Five and a half months ago I set out to build the best iOS Chromecast app for casting local photos/videos. After a first blog post outlining my development process and motivation, I’m proud to announce that the first beta of Cast Player is now available!
Want it? Join the Testflight beta list at https://castplayer.herokuapp.com/.
Why Cast Player?
- Cast Player is completely free. No annoying ads, no in app purchases
- Cast Player’s overarching goal is to be better than AllCast and other top apps in this space
- You already know how to use it: It’s basically the iOS Photos app with built-in Chromecast support
Included in beta 1 (v 0.1.0)
- Connect to all Chromecast devices in the same WiFi network (Chromecast audio not supported yet)
- Browse and cast all your photos and videos
- Easily view all albums and play photos in a slideshow
- Support for iCloud Photo Library (needs to be enabled in your device settings)
- Play/pause videos
- Volume control
- Manage application storage
Planned for next betas / public releases
- iPad support
- View photos and videos in carousel mode
- First user experience / onboarding
- Video queue
- Forward/rewind videos
- Customise photo and video resolution for casted content
- Peek and Pop on compatible devices
- Integration with 3rd party photo & video sharing services
Feedback is highly welcome as the app is under very active development and I want to make it a great product to use. Please refer to the Testflight notes for how to send feedback.